Monday 17 April 2017

VANILLA BEET FREAKSHAKE {HEALTHY TREATS FOR KIDS}

                    VANILLA BEET FREAKSHAKE

Vegetables in a freakshake? Oh yes! In this healthier mega milkshake, made with fruit and vegetables, the beetroot gives it a wonderful purple colour. It also leaves a subtle flavour that pairs well with the vanilla.

FREAKSHAKES


Decadent freakshakes have been a trend for a little while now. Thing is, all that ice cream, cream and sugar being topped by cookies and doughnuts may look fun, but they’re frighteningly unhealthy. I don’t want my kids to miss out on the fun though, so I came up with a much healthier version – that’s filled with fruit and vegetables!
Let me tell you, they were THRILLED with these freakshakes. The flavour of the beetroot mingles with the banana, and pleasantly shines through with the vanilla. Instead of whipped cream for the topping, I whipped chilled coconut cream so it has another flavour dimension, but feel free to use whipped cream if you prefer. I made mine vegan, as my kids love almond milk, but you can use any milk you have on hand.
You’ll need to plan ahead a little for this recipe, simply by putting the tin of coconut milk in the fridge and freezing some over-ripe bananas. I always keep a stash of ripe bananas peeled and broken into chunks in a bag in the freezer. They’re perfect for smoothies and milkshakes.
As for the toppings, there are so many things you could use. My kids chose sprinkles, coconut flakes, mini Organix gingerbread men and apple rice cakes, but you could also use fruit, raisins, seeds etc…

COOKING WITH KIDS


Getting kids into the kitchen, exploring ingredients and cooking together is a great way to get them interested in food. I’ve found that cooking together from an early age also means they’ll be much more likely to eat and try new foods.
The way I see it, if my kids help me make parsnip lemon poppy seed muffins, then they won’t be so scared of parsnips at the dinner table. When they help to chop peppers for a pasta sauce, they’re used to seeing peppers. I never believe in sneaking veggies into food. To me, it’s best for kids if they know what they’re eating and are used to seeing vegetables. 

GET THE RECIPE!

VANILLA BEET FREAKSHAKE {HEALTHY TREATS FOR KIDS}


PREP TIME
TOTAL TIME
Author: 
Serves: 2-3
INGREDIENTS
  • 3 frozen bananas (see note)
  • 1 cooked beetroot (I used vacuum-packed in water)
  • 350ml (1½ cups) almond milk
  • 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (depending on sweetness of bananas)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Whipped coconut cream (or substitute whipped cream)
  • 1 x 400ml can coconut milk, chilled overnight in the fridge
  • 1 tbsp powdered icing sugar
To decorate
  • Chocolate syrup
  • Other optional toppings: berries, sprinkles, dried fruit, biscuits (I used Organix mini gingerbread men and mini apple rice cakes)


INSTRUCTIONS
  1. First, make the whipped coconut cream. Scoop the thick, chilled coconut cream (leaving behind the coconut water*) into a large bowl. Add the icing sugar and whip for a few minutes or until smooth and thick. Refrigerate it to thicken further and until ready to use. The thickness of the cream can vary from can to can, but if it’s too soft even after whipping, beat in a teaspoon of cornflour/cornstarch to thicken it, but use sparingly so it can't be tasted.
  2. For the vanilla beet milkshake, add all ingredients to a blender and whiz until smooth.
  3. To serve, divide the beet milkshake between glasses, top with the whipped coconut cream and add toppings!
NOTES
Don’t bin the coconut water, it’s is a refreshing drink on it’s own or you can add it to smoothies.

I always look out for over-ripe bananas discounted at my locan greengrocers or the supermarket. Just peel them, break into chunks and freeze them. They’re perfect for smoothies, milkshakes and whizzed into ‘nana ice cream’.



ORGANIX NO JUNK JOURNEY

As part of the No Junk Journey with Organix, I’ve been working with them to highlight healthy  




eating for kids. I feel that a big part of encouraging healthy eating is to get kids involved with the cooking. Both of my kids love donning their aprons and helping me to cook. For these freakshakes, my two little ones were thrilled to press the button on the blender and add the toppings.
I like that when kids help in the kitchen, they know exactly what goes into food. They knew that these weren’t just pink milkshakes, but that they were made of beetroot, bananas and milk. When we make carrot cake quinoa truffles, they know that carrots and a few other simple ingredients can be rolled into yummy treats.
Organix have loads of other tips to help get even the smallest kids helping in the kitchen:

No comments:

Post a Comment

French Easter Pie with Spinach and Goat Cheese Recipe

Among the  French dishes traditional served at Easter , you’ll find  tourte pascale * and  pâté de Pâques , French Easter pies enclos...